Friday, June 17, 2011

Foodie Friday - Easy Mexican Rice Soup

I make this a lot.  It's easy and takes little cooking so it is great when you are hungry but short on time.  It is also pretty good for you and inexpensive to make. Another bonus in my book!

You will need:
  • 1 half finely diced onion & 1-2 cloves of garlic sauté them in the pan until lightly brown
  • Add in the rest of these ingredients.  Bring it a slight boil [to get the rice going] and bring down to a simmer.  5 minutes and you should be done and ready to serve.
  • A container of chicken stock [better], broth [good], or homemade stock [best].  Today I am using broth because that was what was on BOGO.  :)
  • 1 can of Rotel tomatoes.  Today I used the cilantro & lime version.  Mild might be good if kids are expected to partake.
  • 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed well.  I am always bulking up recipes with double beans.  Fills you up and great for your heart.  Don't sing the song.  ;)
  • Corn.  Nice add in to balance the heat from the Rotel.  It is probably the most naughty thing in all of this and I think you can spare it.  But if you can't, you won't hurt my feelings.  I personally cut it fresh off of a cob because I had one not eaten from dinner the other night.  I could have used frozen or even canned if rinsed well.  All of that is up to you.
  • 1 cup of instant brown rice.  White or another variety would work, too, but I always have brown around here.
  • Optional add ins: shredded or finely diced carrots or mushrooms cooked into the soup with everything else, diced/torn tortillas into the soup to cook & break down, diced chicken already cooked [use up leftovers], canned chicken - RINSED well, etc.  I am against bell peppers, but I could see their virtue in a dish like this, too.  Just not in my dish.
  • Garnishes: Sour cream on top when serving, cheese on top, or tortilla chips as a last minute garnish, too.  
  • Frankly, the only thing that makes this "Mexican" are the Rotel tomatoes but Tomato Rice Soup didn't sound nearly as inviting.  

Hope you try it and let me know if you do!  
Thanks for flying by...why don't you "Follow Me" and stay awhile?  Pretty Please?  With cheese on top!

No comments: