Friday, March 11, 2011

Foodie Friday- Chicken Mushroom Orzo Soup

I was inspired by the Chicken-and-Orzo soup in her March 2011 issue.  I guess it is not online yet but this is the closest to that recipe.

Here are my ingredients and directions.
  • 1 diced shallot
  • 3 cloves diced or shredded on microplane
  • kosher or course sea salt
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • a container of mcuhsrooms [I used a mix of white button and baby portabello.  You can use as much as you want and I love mushrooms!]
  • 1-2 celery stalks diced very fine
    Swirl olive oil a few times and lightly brown the shallots with the salt.  Then add in garlic, celery and mushrooms and brown.  
  • 3-4 chicken tenders diced into chunks [we are trying to stretch meat so if you want more meat, by all means, add it here.]
    Add chunked chicken into the mushroom mixture and brown.  Add more olive oil if needed.
  • 2 containers of chicken stock
    Add a bit of the stock to scrape up any yummy bits.  Then add in the stock and let that simmer and concentrate the flavors.
  • half box of Orzo pasta [more if you want more. You're the boss here!]
    Meanwhile in a large pot, bring salted water to boil and add the pasta.  Cook until 1 minute under the suggested cooking time so it can continue to cook in the soup at the end.
  • 1-2 cans of white cannelloni or great northern beans, RINSED
    Drain the pasta. I drain in the same colander I am draining the beans in to save dish washing.  Add both to the stock mixture.  
  • half a large lemon juice, squeezed directly into pot [minus the seeds!]
  • large bunch of rinsed parsley, bunched together to snip over bowls.
    Add the juice to the pot after everything has came together.  When you are ready to serve, snip parsley  over each bowl to add a bit of freshness.


 I actually made this the same night I made Quickie Coq au Vin.  I taste tested it that night and it was even more excellent the next day after the flavors had melted together.
Let me know if you make this and what you think!
Enjoy!
http://www.thehowtomommy.com/how-to-do-odds-ends/blog-hops-how-to-do-odds-ends/tasty-thursday-recipe-swap-3/

No comments: