Friday, March 04, 2011

Foodie Friday- Potato Bean Soup

Everyone has their own version of a potato soup.  
I was in the mood to make one today.  
I recalled some of the things my mom has done when making this soup and took off from there.

  • 4 large russet potatoes  [that's what I had excess of, use what you have!], roughly peeled & diced into 1 1/2  inch chunks or thereabouts.  Use more potatoes for more soup.
  • half a carton of chicken stock [save rest for later]
  • enough water to cover the diced potatoes
  • course salt
I put the potatoes, stock, water and about 1 teaspoons of coarse salt in a large soup pot.  Cook until tender, around 20-30 minutes.
  • 1 medium sweet onion diced finely
  • coarse salt
  • 2 T of butter
  • bacon grease if you have it [Optional.  Hint: When I bake my bacon,  I save the grease in a closed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks to add flavor to recipes like this.]
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely minced [more if you like]
  • center  & tops of celery stalk..all the leafy parts that don't work on a veggie tray, finely minced
At the same time, in a separate skillet, melt the butter and bacon grease to cook the onions until translucent on medium low.   Add in the celery leaves & garlic and continue cooking together on low until the potatoes are done.
  • rest of the chicken stock container
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream [or you could totally use plain greek yogurt which I also love but did not have on hand]
  • 1/2 cup of milk or cream [I used 1% milk, the higher the fat content the richer the flavor]
  • S & P 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Herb blend [I have a grinder I use.  Only use if you have it, totally optional]
  • teeny pinch of red pepper flakes [more if you want more heat]
  • 2 cans of white beans, rinsed well and drained [navy, cannelloni, great northern, etc]
  • 1 cup of diced steamed broccoli [because I like to add veggies whenever possible AND I had it leftover from a previous meal.]
After the potatoes are completely cooked, you can mash them if needed.  I cooked mine so far it was mostly pureed naturally just by stirring.  That is the texture I was looking for, cook less if you want it more chunky/brothy. 
On medium low, add in the rest of the broth, sour cream, milk, seasonings to taste, & softly stir in the broccoli and beans.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes for flavors to come together and warm back up.  
Check the seasoning right before you serve.
It tasted great before the beans were added so you could easily have it without them.  However, we are always trying to add more fiber in our diet so I added in 2 cans.  1 would have been fine, too, if that is what you had..use what you have!
I snipped fresh parsley over the bowl when I served it.  
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That looks yummy! I made a cassoulet tonight that had white beans in it and thought to myself that I should use them more often. I even have potatoes on the counter. :)